How we do it
Our method for translating videogames is thorough, reliable, and quick to provide the best quality localization. Video games, in their structure and narrative, are art forms and deserve that level of attention when localized. So here’s how we do it:
- We pair your video game with a literary text written and published in Spanish of a similar genre. This will give us key vocabulary to use in your text.
- We perform the initial localization.
- We perform a localization QA revision in order to polish the localization.
- We send you a QA Survey (Quality Assurance Survey).
- We perform another revision of the game based on your input in the QA Survey.
- Repeat steps 5 – 6 until you are satisfied.
It’s a lot to get done, but we’re speedy. Our experience has been our guide and we make deadlines. We keep you in the loop so you don’t have to trust our final product without knowing what went into it.
- What is a QA Survey?
- The Quality Assurance Survey is a text that discusses why we made certain translations the way that we did or questions about the video game that would influence how we were to localize a certain colloquialism, phrase, joke, etc. We send you the QA Survey in order to initiate a conversation about the game and to ensure that we localize the meaning exactly how you want it whenever we run into trickier language.
- Why pair it with a literary text?
- We have a few reasons for this. Firstly, this is one easy way maintain the historical, cultural, and genre-specific phrasing of your video game in the target language. We want your game to have the same artistic impact in Spanish as it does in English. Secondly, this is how we’ve always translated. in literary translation as well as translations for other professions. It’s common practice in literary translation to double check with a similar literary piece written in the target language.
- What’s the deal with Portuguese (BR) localizations?
- We do offer Portuguese (BR) localizations, but we may not be able to perform localizations to the standard we hold on in-depth narrative based games. These localizations will be considered on an individual basis.
- What is this about a professional proofread of community translations?
- This is another service we offer. Maybe you’ve got an excellent, multilingual community willing to help with localizations. We respect that, but we also understand that you want your game to have the best localizations available. We offer this less expensive service to simply proofread the localizations your community has made.
- What are your rates?
- Rates vary depending on the project. Generally it comes down to a formula based on word count + hours spent on the localization.